Join Surfrider Foundation Newport Beach Chapter – for the 7th annual Rock Water race on Saturday March 22, 2014. The race covers 13 miles along the Santa Ana River trail starting at the Honda Center in Anaheim and finishing at the Santa Ana River mouth in Huntington Beach CA. Here is a link to the Race Map
What is a WaterShed?
A watershed is any river, gully, canyon or pathway that drains to the ocean. Watersheds are everywhere and anything on land can find its way to the ocean via a watershed. This means that if you throw something on the ground it may eventually end up in the ocean. Drop a cigarette butt or plastic fork, and it will end up in the ocean, on our beaches, or in the stomach of a fish, sea bird or other marine animal.
• Race Date: March 22, 2014
• Race Start: 9:00AM. Teams are expected to check in at the start by 8:30 AM.
• Team entries only.
• Teams may consist of up to 3 members.
• Teams may consist of: runners and walkers only
• Each team must have a team driver and vehicle to transport team members to relay changes.
• Prizes will be awarded but the goal is not to finish first but to raise awareness of the watershed and clean it up as you race.
• Trash can be collected by all team members at any time during the race (team members completing their leg do not have to pick up trash at the same time).
• The glorious wooden spoon will be awarded to the team finishing last overall.
Race Entry Fee:
FREE due to generous sponsors for 2014.
Hydration stations will also be available at the switch-out locations along the route so don’t forget to bring your re-usable water bottle. The first 100 to Register (see below) will receive a HDX bottle to reuse. The race finishes at the Santa Ana River Mouth, where a beach clean up will be arranged and prizes awarded.
How to enter the race:
Please contact our Race Director Robyn Vettraino if you need further race information or are interested in donating to Surfrider Foundation -Newport Beach Chapter for the race. Product donations are also welcomed.
A Cheer Station will be sponsored by Ivivva. Please contact them to sign up or for more information.
You may also donate directly using the Donate button below.
Please contact Michelle Giron if you would like to Volunteer to help out on race day.
Want to find out more about watersheds and how we are polluting our oceans? Watch the Surfrider movie “The Cycle of Insanity” and then sign your team up to start raising awareness.