Join Surfrider Foundation Newport Beach Chapter – for the 6th annual Rock Water race on Saturday March 23, 2013. The race covers 28.9 miles starting at head of the Santa Ana River trail at the border of Orange and Riverside Counties and finishes at the Santa Ana River mouth in Huntington Beach CA.
What is a WaterShed?
A watershed is any river, gully, canyon or pathway that drains to the ocean. Watersheds are everywhere and anything on land can find its way to the ocean via a watershed. This means that if you throw something on the ground it may eventually end up in the ocean. Drop a cigarette butt or plastic fork, and it will end up in the ocean, on our beaches, or in the stomach of a fish, sea bird or other marine animal.
• Race Date: March 23, 2013
• Race Start: 9:00AM. Teams are expected to check in at the start by 8:30 AM.
• Team entries only.
• Teams may consist of up to 7 members.
• Teams may consist of: runners and walkers only; or a mix of members on foot and on self-propelled wheels (bikes, skateboards, scooters).
• At least 4 members of a mixed team must complete their leg on foot or a skateboard/scooter/unicycle – not on a bike.
• Each team must have a team driver and vehicle to transport team members to relay changes.
• Prizes will be awarded but the goal is not to finish first but to raise awareness of the watershed and clean it up as you race.
• Trash can be collected by all team members at any time during the race (team members completing their leg do not have to pick up trash at the same time).
• The glorious wooden spoon will be awarded to the team finishing last overall.
Race Entry Fee:
The race entry fee is $100 per team. The entry fee includes a RockWater race shirt for each team member. Get your team in before March 1 and receive a 50% discount. Only $50 per team.
Drinks tables will also be available at locations along the route. The race finishes at the Santa Ana River Mouth, where a beach clean up will be arranged and prizes awarded.
How to enter the race:
Register your team by pressing the Pay Now Button. You do not need to have your team in place already.
Please reference your team name when payment is sent. PayPal or Credit Card Payments are accepted. Details of change over points and the race route can be downloaded to your smart phone Google maps.
Please contact Robyn Vettraino if you require any further information about the race or are interested in donating to Surfrider Foundation – Newport Beach Chapter for the race. Product donations will also be welcomed.
You may also donate directly using the Donate button below.
Please contact Michelle Giron if you would like to Volunteer to help out on race day.
Want to find out more about watersheds and how we are polluting our oceans? Watch the Surfrider movie “The Cycle of Insanity” and then sign your team up to start raising awareness.