- Timezone: America/New_York
- Date: Jul 20 2019
- Time: 12:30 - 14:30
Groms Club: OceanQuest Experience
Join the Newport Beach Surfrider Groms for a morning hosted by Discovery Cube’s Ocean Quest museum.
- Plankton Races – Kids will learn about plankton, and build their own plankton out of various materials. They can then try to get their plankton to float in the middle of the water column.
- Marine Debris Match – Kids will match objects to cards that explain how long it takes for the items to break down in the ocean.
From there, we’ll take the party to the beach – where all the best Surfrider memories are made.
- As we walk to the pier, we’ll learn about the different types of sand and search for magnetic sand.
- Once on the pier, we’ll try our luck at some crab fishing! Here we learn about crustaceans, what they eat, their anatomy, and hopefully catch a crab for the kids to touch. We will also do a mini-lesson about UV Rays, and give each Grom a small goodie bag of UV beads and string, so they can make their own bracelet.
And, of course, no trip to the beach with Surfrider is complete without a little beach clean up! This part is completely optional but we do encourage you to grab some gloves and a bag before you go so we can always leave it better than we found it.
Preferred ticket pricing for Newport Beach Surfrider Chapter members. Not a member? Join NOW!
Ticket sales are considered a donation to the Newport Beach Surfrider Chapter and non-refundable. Parent/adult participation required.