COMMUNITY BEACH CLEANUPS COORDINATOR
The Surfrider Foundation Newport Beach Chapter is seeking a highly motivated individual for the part-time position of Community Beach Cleanups Coordinator. Our team seeks a self-motivated, adaptable professional to work in a high volume, deadline dependent environment. The primary focus of this position is to manage our Beach Cleanup Program. The position will also include events, marketing, communications & general support duties related to the role. This position is part-time and requires a flexible schedule.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support, manage, and expand corporate and public beach cleanup programs. Includes permitting and supply management, scheduling and hosting sponsored cleanups, and supporting our public cleanup site volunteers. Corporate cleanups are typically on weekday mornings while public cleanups are currently the first Saturday of every month.
- Respond directly to inquiries from corporations looking to partner and/or participate in a company beach cleanup and maintain a partnership database.
- Schedule and lead corporate beach cleanups that typically happen between 9 and 5 on weekdays.
- Work with the chapter Volunteer Coordinator to leverage the chapter’s volunteer network to assist with larger community beach cleanup requests.
- Forward inquiries from individual community members to the chapter Volunteer Coordinator as needed.
- Work with the chapter Volunteer Coordinator to assist with other community cleanups such as Coastal Cleanup Day as time allows.
- Follow up with host and/or participants post-cleanup with thank you and opportunities for further engagement.
- Manage corporate contributions to chapter that come through corporate cleanups.
- Consult with Surfrider Foundation HQ’s corporate partnership staff for coordination.
- Collect data from all beach cleanups and enter into beach cleanup database.
- Coordinate with chapter Media Coordinator to post photos and stories from cleanups to chapter’s social media sites.
- Additional tasks as needed.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- Basic knowledge of coastal/marine environmental issues
- Nonprofit and/or volunteer experience (preferred)
- Ability to load, unload and carry beach cleanup supplies (up to 40 lbs.) for extended distances of up to 50 yards
- Administrative experience
- Public speaking skills
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Flexible schedule; available on some evenings and weekends
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse partners
- Strong social skills
- Strong writing skills
- Social media experience (preferred)
- Must have own vehicle and maintain a clean driving record
Reports to: Newport Beach Chapter Chair and Regional Manager
Employee will work remotely and throughout the designated coastal cleanup locations. Work will be performed throughout the Newport Beach area.
SCHEDULE & HOURS:
Varied, typically between 5 and 15 hours/week
Submit cover letter, resume, and optional reference list to email@example.com
Please state “Newport Beach Beach Cleanups Coordinator” in the subject line of your email, and title resume and cover letter documents using this convention: lastname_resume.doc & lastname_cover.doc